University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) Postgraduate Admission Form for 2020/2021 Session.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into regular postgraduate programmes of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka for the 2020/2021 academic session, leading to the award of Postgraduate Diplomas, Master’s and Doctorate degrees in the following Departments and Institutes/Centre:
1. FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes
- Department of Agricultural Economics
Farm Management and Production Economics; Agricultural Marketing and Agri-business; Agricultural Finance and Project Analysis; Agricultural Cooperative and Resources; Environmental Economics.
The Department of Agricultural Economics also offers PGD programme in Co-operative Studies; Farm Management and Production Economics; Agribusiness and Marketing.
Departments of Food Science and Technology, Crop Science, Animal Science, Agricultural Extension and Soil Science, offer Postgraduate Diploma Programmes.
- Department of Animal Science
Animal Nutrition and Biochemistry; Animal Production; Animal Physiology; Animal Breeding and Genetics.
- Department of Crop Science
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D.
Crop Physiology Economic Entomology; Crop Production; Forage Crops; Hematology; Ornamental Horticulture; Plant Breeding and Genetics; Plant Pathology; Tropical Fruits and Plantation Crops; Vegetable Crops; Weed Science.
- Department of Agricultural Extension
Agricultural Administration; Agricultural Communication; Agricultural Extension Education; Agricultural Planning and Evaluation; Rural Sociology.
- Department of Food Science and Technology; Food Chemistry and Analysis; Animal Production Technology; Fruits and Vegetable Processing Technology; Quality Control and Assurance; Cereals, Pulses, Legumes and Tuber Processing Technology; Food Biotechnology; Food Engineering and Processing.
- Department of Home Science PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes; Family and Child Studies; Home Management (Family Resource Management); Hospitality and Institutional Management; Interior Decoration and Design; Food and Nutrition; Textile, Clothing and Fashion Design.
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D programmes Dietetics; Community and Public Health Nutrition; Human and Experimental Nutrition
- Department of Soil Science Soil Genesis Survey and Classification; Remote Sensing, Environmental Impact Assessment and Land Evaluation; Soil Chemistry and Mineralogy; Soil Fertility and Management; Soil Physics and Conservation; Soil Biology and Biochemistry.
2. FACULTY OF ARTS
PGD, M.A. and Ph.D. degree programmes
- Department of Archaeology and Tourism (PGD, M.A. and Ph.D. Programmes)
Paleolithic Studies; Iron Age Archaeology; Origins of Food Production and Urbanization; and Cultural Resource Management (Museum or Tourism Option).
- Department of English and Literary Studies (PGD, M.A and Ph.D.)
English as a second Language (ESL); English Language; Literature; and Comparative Studies and Literature; Oral Literature.
- Department of Fine and Applied Arts
Ph.D. Art History; Ph.D. Art Education; Ph.D. Art Administration and Management; Ph.D. Fine Arts and Design (with specialization in Painting, Print Making; Sculpture-Visual Communication Design; Textile Design; Fashion Design; Ceramics).
M.F.A. with specialization in Painting; Print Making; Sculpture; Textile Design; Fashion Design; Ceramics; Communication Art and Design (Options: Graphic Design and Advertizing; Product Design; Web Design and New Media); Film Making and Photography.
M.A. Art History: Traditional African Art; Modern African Art; Asian Oriental Art; African-American Art.
M.A. Art Education; M.A. Art Administration and Management
PGD in Fine and Applied Arts.
- Department of Foreign Languages and Literary Studies (MA programme)
African Literature in French; Caribbean Literature in French; Translation.
The Department also offers Ph.D programmes in the following areas of specialization:
African Literature in French; Caribbean Literature in French; German Literature.
- Department of History and International Studies (PGD, M.A. and Ph.D.)
Political History; Economic History; Social History; International Studies
- Department of Linguistics, Igbo and Other Nigerian Languages (M.A, Ph.D) Linguistics; African Languages; Literature in African Languages; and Translation and Interpretation). The Department offers Ph.D. in the following areas of specialization: Linguistics; African Languages and Literature.
- Department of Mass Communication
PGD, M.A and Ph.D.
Multimedia and Journalism; Broadcasting/Electronic Media; Public Relations; Advertising and Marketing Communications; Communication Advocacy; Development Communication; Population Communication.
- Department of Music Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDM): African Music Industry; Ensemble/Theatre Directing and Management; Music Education; Research; Composition and Musical Instrument Technology. MA Degree Programme: Ensemble/Theatre Directing and Management; Music Education; Research; Composition and Musical Instrument Technology. Ph.D Degree Programme in the following areas: African Music; Music Education; Composition; Musicology; Music Performance and Musical Instrument Technology; Ensemble/Theatre Directing and Management; Research and Musical Instrument Technology.
- Department of Theatre and Film Studies (M.A and Ph.D. Acting and Directing; Dramatic Theory and Criticism; Applied Theatre; Playwriting; African and Caribbean Drama and Theatre; Film and Media Arts Studies; Performance Studies; Scenography; Theatre and Cultural Administration.
3. FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc and Ph.D degree programmes in following Departments:
- Department of Human Anatomy
Gross Anatomy; Neuroanatomy; Histology; Embryology; Reproductive Technologies; Anatomical Science Education; Forensic Biology; Cell Biology; Biological Anthropology.
- Human Physiology
Blood; Cardiovascular System; Renal Physiology; Endocrinology; Reproduction; Developmental Programming; Neurophysiology.
- Medical Biochemistry
Biochemical and Molecular Parasitology; Enzymology; Micronutrients and Molecular Toxicology; Molecular Nutrition and Food Research; and Clinical Biochemistry.
4. FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Biochemistry
Environmental Biochemistry; Enzymology; Industrial Biochemistry& Biotechnology; Medical Biochemistry; Nutritional Biochemistry; Molecular Biology; Pharmacological Biochemistry;ProteinChemistry; Lipid Biochemistry; Plant Biochemistry.
- Department of Microbiology
Brewing Science and Technology (PGD); Medical Microbiology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.); Environmental Microbiology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.); Food/Industrial Microbiology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.); and Brewing Science and Technology (M.Sc).
- Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D
Biosystematic/Taxonomy; Palynology/Palaeoecology; Plant Anatomy; Plant Physiology; Ecophysiology; Plant Pathology/Mycology; Genetics and Plant Breeding; Plant Ecology; Environmental Botany/Economic Botany; Plant Biotechnology; Algal Biotechnology; Fungal Biotechnology; Bagel Biotechnology; Aquatic Botany; Phycology/Limnology (Aquatic Ecology); and Ethnomedicine/ Phytomedicine.
- Department of Zoology and Environmental Biology
(M.Sc. and (Ph.D.)
Animal and Environme; Parasitology and Public Health; Entomology and Forensic Sciences; Fishery Science and Aquaculture; Hydrobiology/Aquatic Sciences; Ecology and Environmental Biology; Animal Genetics, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
5. FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
PGD, MBA, M.Sc and Ph.D. programmes
- Department of Accountancy
Financial Accounting; Management Accounting, Auditing and Investigation; Taxation Laws and Accounts; Public Sector Accounting; Management Information System.
- Department of Banking and Finance
PGD and MBA
M.Sc and Ph.D
Finance; Banking and Credit Risk Management; Banking/Finance and Economic Development; Risk Management in Financial Institutions.
- Department of Management
Administrative Theory and Practice; Human Resources Management; Production and Operations Management; Analytical Techniques; Corporate Strategy and Business Policy; Project Management and Feasibility Analysis; and Comparative Management Systems.
- Department of Marketing
Marketing Communications; Physical Distribution and Channel Management; Industrial Marketing; Consumer-Buyer Behaviour; and International Marketing, Strategic Marketing. The Department of Marketing also offers executive M.Sc. degree programme in Public Relations.
6. FACULTY OF EDUCATION
PGDE, PGDL, M.Ed. and Ph.D. degree programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Adult Education & Extra Mural Studies
Adult Education Administration; Community Development; Extension & Distance Education.
- Department of Arts Education
Curriculum Studies; Language Education; Educational Technology; Comparative & International Education; Music Education; Fine & Applied Arts Education; Moral Education; Religious Education.
- The Department of Educational Foundations
Childhood Education; Educational Psychology; Guidance &Counselling; History of Education; Philosophy of Education; Sociology of Education; Special Education.
D. Department of Human Kinetics and Health Education
Public Health Education; School Health Education; Mental and Emotional Health Education; Occupational and Industrial Health Education; Administration and Management of Physical Education and Sports; Curriculum and Physical Education Teacher Education; Psychology of Sports; Sociology of Sports; Recreation and Tourism; Exercise Physiology; Adapted Physical Education. For PGD: (a) Health Education (PGDHE); (b) Human Kinetics and Sports Studies (PGDHKS).
- Department of Library & Information Science
PGDL, M.L.S and Ph.D. Degree Programmes
- Department of Science Education
Educational Research Methodology; Mathematics Education; Physics Education; Chemistry Education; Biology Education; Measurement & Evaluation, and Integrated Science Education. PGD Science Education with the following options: Biology Option; Chemistry Option; Integrated Science Option; Mathematics Option and Physics Option.
- Department of Social Science Education Economics Education; Political Science Education; Population & Family Life Education; Geographical & Environmental Education; and Social Studies Education. Postgraduate Diploma programmes in the Faculty of Education are domiciled as follows: (PGDE) in Educational Foundations; PGDL in Library & Information Science; Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Education domiciled in the Department of Social Science Education.
7. FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
M.Sc., M.Engr. And Ph.D. degree programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Agricultural & Bioresources Engineering:
(M.Engr and Ph.D)
Power Systems, Machinery and Mechatronic Engineering; Soil and Water Resources Engineering; Food and Bioprocess Engineering; Structures and Environmental Control Engineering; Biomass and Renewable Energy Engineering; Aqua Cultural Engineering; Forest Engineering; Ecological Engineering.
- Department of Civil Engineering
(PGDCE, M.Sc., M.Engr, Ph.D)
Structural Engineering; Environmental Engineering; Water Resources Engineering; Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering; Materials & Construction; and Highway Engineering.
- Department of Electrical Engineering
(M.Engr. and Ph.D)
Power Electronics, Drives and New System; Electrical Machine and Drives; Electromagnetic Fields and Application; Power Systems and High Voltage Engineering; and Automatic Control Systems.
- Department of Electronic Engineering
(M.Sc, M.Engr and Ph.D)
Communications; Digital and Computer Electronics. Currently, the Department of Electronics Engineering has no facilities in the area of Control Systems.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
(PGD, M.Sc., M.Engr., Ph.D.)
Materials Technology and Mechanics; Fluid Mechanics and Gas Dynamics; Design and Production Technology; Industrial Engineering and Management.
- Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
(PGD, M.Sc, M.Engr., Ph.D)
Chemical/Process Metallurgy (Minerals Processing, Extraction of Metals, Corrosion, Metallurgical Process Development, Modern Coating)
Physical/Mechanical Metallurgy (Welding, Failure Analysis, Heat Treatment of Metals, Metal Working, Fracture Mechanism, Dislocation Mechanism)
Materials Engineering (Nano-Technology, Composites, Polymer, Biomaterials, Nuclear Materials, Ceramics and Refractory, Electronic and Magnetic Materials)
The Departments of Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering offer PGDprogrammes.
8. FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
PGD, M.Sc., M.Arch.and Ph.D. Programmes in the following Departments:
- Departments of Architecture
Architectural Design; Architectural Science and Technology; Housing; Construction Management; Architectural History and Theory; Sustainable Design; Architectural Conservation; Architectural Practice and Management; Industrial Design; Landscape Architecture Design; Urban Design, Computer Aided Design/Technology and Media Architecture and Interior Design.
- Department of Estate Management
(PGD, M.Sc., Ph.D. and Master in Real Estate (MRE) Programmes)
Valuation; Feasibility/Viability Appraisals; Taxation, Facility and Property Management; Development and Utilization and Land Resources inclusive of Estate and Interests tread as strongly rooted in Philosophical and Socio-economic foundations of their Relationship to man, society and environment.
- Department of Geoinformatics & Surveying
(PGD, M.Sc., MGIT and Ph.D.)
Land Surveying; Geodesy; Protogrammetry; Remote Sensing; Hydrography; Cartography; Geographic Information System (GIS); Land Information Management (LIM).
- Department of Urban & Regional Planning
(M.Sc, MURP and Ph.D.)
Traffic and Transportation Planning;Tourism Planning and Development;Conservation/Preservation;Housing and Community Development;Recreation Facility Planning; Social Services and Planning;Regional/Rural Development Planning;Land Use and Development control; Urban Design; Environmental Planning and Management.
9. FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES & TECHNOLOGY
- Department of Health Administration & Management PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D Health Economics; Health Management & Policy.
- Department of Medical Laboratory Science
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D
Clinical Chemistry; Hematology; Histopathology; Microbiology; and Immunology.
- Department of Medical Radiography & Radiological Sciences
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D
Medical Imaging with options in;
• Medical Ultrasound
• Computerized Tomography(CT)
• Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
• Nuclear medicine
• Conventional Radiography
Radiation Therapy and Oncology; Radiation and Environmental Protection; Radiography Education; Radiology Administration and Management.
- Department of Medical Rehabilitation
M.Sc M.Sc/Ph.D and Ph.D
Cardio-Pulmonary Physiotherapy; Neurological Physiotherapy; Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy; Exercise and Sports Physiotherapy; Women’s Health Physiotherapy; Paediatric Physiotherapy; Community Physiotherapy.
- Department of Nursing Sciences M.Sc and Ph.D Maternal & Child Health Nursing; Medical Surgical Nursing; Mental Health & Psychiatric Nursing; Nursing Administration & Management; Community Health Nursing; and Nursing Education.
10. FACULTY OF LAW
LL.M. and Ph.D. Degree programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Commercial and Corporate Law LL.M and Ph.D degree programmes in the following areas: Law of Business Organization; Banking; Investment and Capital Market; Law of Commercial Transaction; Insurance Law; and Maritime.
- Department of Customary and Indigenous Law
LL.M and Ph.D degree progrqmmes in the following areas: Customary Jurisprudence; Customary Property Law; Indigenous Peoples in International Law.
- International and Corporate Law
LL.M degree programmes in the following areas: Public and International Law; Law of International Institutions; International Environmental Law; International Economic Law; International Human Rights Law; and International Criminal Law.
- Department of Jurisprudence and Legal Theory
LL.M and Ph.D degree programmes in the following areas:
Jurisprudence and Legal Theory; Comparative Constitutionalism; International Criminal Law and Theory; Law and Development.
- Department of Private Law
LL.M and Ph.D degree programmes in the following areas:
Laws Governing the Private Practice of Law, Civil Proceedings and Allied Professional Concerns; The Regulation of Private Investments, the Capital Market and Industrial Relations; Laws Pertaining to Personal and Familial Relations; International Business Law & Institutions; Private Law Theory
- Department of Property Law
LL.M and Ph.D degree programmes in the following areas:
Property and Fiscal Law; Law of International Finance and Commerce; Law of Corporations, Governance and Dispute Settlement
- Department of Public Law LL.M and Ph.D degree programmes in the following areas: Administrative Law; Comparative Constitutional Law; Human Rights Law; Health Law and Policy; Humanitarian Law; Advanced Criminal Law.
11. FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Community Medicine
MPH degree programme is offered by the Department of Community Medicine in the following areas of specialization:
Epidemiology; Biostatistics & Population Studies; Health Care Studies; General Preventive & Health Communication Studies; Primary Health Care and Nutrition Studies.
- Department of Pharmacology &Therapeutics
M.Sc, Ph.D and MDdegree programmes.
Pharmacology; Toxicology; Statistics; Epidemiology
- Department of Medicine
M.Sc. and MD (Doctor of Medicine) are offered by the Department of Medicine in the following areas of specialization: MD degree in Cardiology; Nephrology; Neurology; Endocrinology; Gastroenterology; Respiratory Medicine (Pulmonology); Rheumatology; Infectious Diseases; Clinical Pharmacology/Therapeutics and Dermatology. M.Sc. degree in Cardiology; Nephrology; Neurology; Endocrinology; Gastroenterology; Respiratory Medicine (Pulmonology); Rheumatology; Infectious Diseases; Clinical Pharmacology/Therapeutics and Dermatology.
12. FACULTY OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Clinical Pharmacy & Pharmacy Management
M.Pharm and Ph.D
Pharmaceutical Services e.g. drug information services; Pharmacotherapy of various units e.g. oncology, cardiovascular, neurology; Ambulatory Care/Adult Medicine; Clinical Pharmacokinetics/biopharmaceutics; Hospital Pharmacy; Pharmaceutical care; Social Pharmacy/Behavioural Pharmacy; Pediatric Pharmacy; Hematology; Pharmacy Practice Management; Infectious Diseases; Public Health Pharmacy; Pharmacoeconomics/ Pharmacoepidemicology; Social Pharmacy/Behavioural Pharmacy; Pediatric Pharmacy; Hematology; Pharmacy Management; and Infectious Diseases.
- Department of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry
M. Pharm, M.Sc and Ph.D
Natural Products Chemistry; Drug Metabolism; and Analytical Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology
PGD, M. Pharm, M.Sc, Ph.D Programmes
Fermentation and General Pharmaceutical Microbiology; Pharmaceutical Biotechnology; Genetics and Immunology; Sterilization and Disinfection; Microbial Ecology; Sterile Products Formulation; Chemotherapy
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Industrial Pharmacy
M. Pharm and Ph.D Programmes
Powder and Tablet Technology; Dispersed Systems and Semi-Solids; Bipharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics; Parenteral Dosage form Technology; Industrial Pharmacy.
- Department of Pharmaceutics
M.Sc, M.Pharm and Ph.D Programmes
Physical Pharmaceutics; Compounding; Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Biotechnology; Dispensing; and Pharmacy practices.
- Department of Pharmacognosy and Environmental Medicine
M.Pharm, M.Sc, Ph.D Programmes in the following areas:
Phytochemistry; Biomedicinal Chemistry; Ethnobotany; Phytopharmacology; Drug Evaluation and Quality Control
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
M.Pharm, M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes
Autonomic Pharmacology; Neuropharmacology; Biochemical Pharmacology; Chemotherapy; Clinical Pharmacology; Toxicology; Cardiovascular Pharmacology; Natural product Pharmacology; General Pharmacology.
13. FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Computer Science
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes
Systems Engineering; Software Engineering; Artificial Intelligence; Computer Networks; Theoretical Computer Science; Data communication.
- Department of Geology (M.Sc. and Ph.D programmes in the following areas): Economic Geology and Geochemistry; Engineering Geology/Environmental Geology; Applied Geophysics; Hydrogeology/Environmental Geology; Mineralogy and Petrology; Palaeontology and Biostratigraphy; Petroleum Geoscience; Stratigraphy and Sedimentology; Structural Geology.
- Department of Physics & Astronomy M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes Condensed Matter Physics; Medical Physics; Theoretical High Energy Physics; Solid Earth Geophysics; Astronomy; Atmospheric Physics; Solar Energy Physics/ Materials Science.
- Department of Pure & Industrial Chemistry
M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes
Inorganic Chemistry; Physical and Theoretical Chemistry; Organic Chemistry; Analytical Chemistry; Fossil Fuel (Petroleum, Coal and Natural gas) Chemistry; Polymer Chemistry; Industrial Chemistry; Environmental Chemistry.
- Department of Mathematics M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes Pure Mathematics; Applied Mathematics.
- Department of Statistics M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes Probability; Inference; Design of Experiments/Analysis; Sample Survey/Demography; Stochastic Processes/Time Series; Statistical Computing
14. FACULTY OF THE SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Department of Economics
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D degree programmes in:
Economic Theory; Econometrics; Monetary Economics; Labour and Industrial Economics; International Economics; Development Economics; Mathematical Economics; Operations Research; Petroleum and Energy Economics; Finance and Public Sector Economics; Environmental Economics; Health Economics.
- Department of Geography
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D degree programmes in:
Agricultural Geography; Biogeography; Cartography; Climatology/Physical Oceanography; Environmental Management; Geographic Information Systems; Geomorphology; Hydrology and Water Resources; Industrial Geography; Political Geography; Population Geography; Remote Sensing; Rural Geography; Transportation Geography and Urban Geography.
- Departments of Philosophy
PGD, M.A. and Ph.D degree programmes in:
Political and Social Philosophy; Western Metaphysics; Ethics/Moral Philosophy; Epistemology ; History of Western Philosophy; African Philosophy; Jurisprudence/Philosophy of Law.
Metaphysics; Epistemology; Moral Philosophy/Ethics; History of Western Philosophy; African Philosophy; Political and Social Philosophy; Philosophy of Law and Jurisprudence.
- Department of Political Science PGD, PGDEA, M.Sc and Ph.D. Programmes in: Political Theory; Public Administration; Comparative Politics; Electoral Studies; International Relations; Political Economy; Conflict, Peace and Strategic Studies; Human Security and Counter-Terrorism Studies. PGDEA is Postgraduate Diploma in Election Administration.
- Department of Psychology M.Sc. & Ph.D. Programmes in: Experimental Psychology; Developmental Psychology; Clinical Psychology; Industrial/Organizational Psychology; Social Psychology; School Psychology;and Counseling Psychology.
- Department of Public Administration and Local Government PGD, MPA, M.Sc., DPA& Ph.D. degree programmes. Financial Management; International Administration; Local Government and Human Resources ManagementPGD and M.Sc in Social Policy
- Department of Religion & Cultural Studies PGD, M.A. and Ph.D degree programmes Old Testament; New Testament; Church History; African Traditional Religion; Religion and Society; Religion and Conflict Resolution.
- Department of Sociology/Anthropology M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmesin the following areas: Anthropology; Anthropology and Development; Climate Change and Society; Comparative Ethnography; Criminology and Sociology of Deviance; Culture and Communication; Demography and Population Studies; Environmental Sociology; Family Studies; Gender and Women Studies; Industrial and Labour Relations; Industrial Sociology; Medical Anthropology; Medical Sociology; Military Sociology and Diplomacy; Oral Tradition and Sociology; Organizational Sociology; Political Anthropology; Political Sociology; Postcolonial Studies; Rural Sociology; Security Studies; Social Development Studies; Social Institutions; Symbolic Anthropology; Urban Anthropology; Urban Sociology. The Department of Sociology/Anthropology offers PGD programme in the following areas: Criminology; Gender and Women Studies; Industrial and Labour Relations; Social Development Studies.
- Department of Social Work PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D Programmes in: Social Gerontology; Community Development; Medical Social Work; Social Policy/Industrial Social Work; Social Work Administration; Family Social Work; Psychiatric Social Work; Clinical Social Work; School Social Work.
15. FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Veterinary Anatomy
M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes in:
Neuroanatomy; Developmental Anatomy Embryology; Microscopic Anatomy (Histology); Gross and Comparative Anatomy; Immunochemistry; Histochemistry; and Applied Anatomy and Biotechnology.
- Department of Animal Health and Production
(M.Sc. and Ph.D. Degree Programmes)
Large Ruminant Health and Production; Small Ruminant Health and Management; Dairy Animal Health and Production; Nutrition in Health and Disease; Swine Health and Production; Poultry Health and Management; Animal Genetics and Breeding; Animal Health Management and Economics; Nutrition and Biotechnology; Fishery, Zoo and Micro livestock.
- Department of Veterinary Medicine
(M.Sc., and Ph.D. Degree Programmes)
Avian Medicine; Ruminant Medicine; Small Animal Medicine; Swine Medicine; Equine Medicine; Fish Medicine; Laboratory and Wildlife Medicine; Ethnoveterinary Medicine.
- Department of Veterinary Obstetrics & Reproductive Diseases
M.Sc and Ph.D Programmes in:
Veterinary Andrology; Gynaecology; Obstetrics and Reproductive Biotechnology.
- Department of Veterinary Parasitology and Entomology (M.Sc., and Ph.D. Degree Programmes) Veterinary Helminthology; Veterinary Protozoology; Veterinary Entomology.
- Department of Veterinary Pathology and Microbiology (M.Sc., and Ph.D. Degree Programmes) (i) Veterinary Pathology: Diagnostic (Anatomic) Pathology; (Clinical Pathology (Haematology and Clinical Chemistry); Avian Pathology; Nutritional Pathology. (ii) Veterinary Microbiology: Bacteriology; Virology; Mycology; Micoplasmology and Rickettsiology; and Immunology.
- Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology (M.Sc and Ph.D programmes) Veterinary Biochemistry, Veterinary Pharmacology, Veterinary Physiology and Veterinary Toxicology.
- Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine. (M.Sc., MVPH, MPVM and Ph.D. Degree Programmes) Veterinary Public Health; Preventive Veterinary Medicine; Veterinary Epidemiology.
- Department of Veterinary Surgery & Radiology M.Sc., and Ph.D. degree programmes Veterinary Anaesthesiology; Veterinary soft tissue surgery; Veterinary Orthopaedics and Lameness; Veterinary Radiology; Veterinary Ultrasonology and other diagnostic Imaging; Veterinary Oncology and Nuclear Medicine; Veterinary Dentistry and Dental technology
16. FACULTY OF VOCATIONAL AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION
PGDE, PGDTE, M.Tech., M.Ed. and Ph.D. degree programmes in the following Departments:
- Department of Agricultural Education
(PGDTE, M.Tech., M.Ed. and Ph.D.)
Technology Education in Production Agriculture; Agro-Business Education; Soil Education
- Department of Business Education
(PGDTE, M.Tech., and Ph.D.)
Accounting Education, Marketing Education and Management Education.
- Department of Computer & Robotics Education
(PGDTE, M.Tech., and Ph.D.)
(a) Software Development and Application.
(b) Hardware Maintenance and Management.
(c) Networking and Communication.
(d) Computer and Robotic Education.
- Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management
(PGDTE, M.Tech., and Ph.D.)
Child Development and Care Education; Clothing and Textile Technology Education; Food and Nutrition Education; Home Management; and Hospitality Management Education.
- Department of Industrial Technical Education
(PGDE, PGDTE, M.Tech., and Ph.D.)
Building/Woodwork Technology; Electrical/Electronic Technology; Metal Work/Automobile Technology.
- Department of Vocational and Entrepreneurship Education
Vocational Education (Masters and Ph.D.); Entrepreneurship Education (Masters and Ph.D.);Agricultural Education (PGDTE); Business Education (PGDTE); Computer Education (PGDTE); Home Economics and Hospitality Management (PGDTE); and Industrial Technical Education (PGDTE).
17. INSTITUTE OF AFRICAN STUDIES
Offers Postgraduate programmes as followings:
African Peace and Conflict Studies (PGD); African Studies (M.A, & Ph.D.); and Peace and Conflict Studies (MA).
18. INSTITUTE FOR DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (IDS)
PGD, M.Sc. & Ph.D. degree programmes
The IDS has the following areas of specialization at Masters (M.Sc.) degree level:
Governance and Social Change; Poverty, Power Relations and Social Change; Knowledge, Technology and Society; and International Development.
At Ph.D. degree level, the Institute has the following areas of specialization: Human and Social Development; Community Development; Conflict Resolution and Peace-Building; and Natural Resources and Sustainable Development.
19. INSTITUTE OF MARITIME STUDIES (IMS)
Offers postgraduate programmes as follows: M.Sc. and PGD in Maritime Business and International Logistics; M.Sc. and PGD in Maritime Law and Policy; M.Sc. in Maritime Telecommunication; PGD in Radio Maritime Telecommunication; and M.Sc in Maritime Management.
20. CENTRE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT & CONTROL
Centre for Environmental Management and Control (CEMAC) offers PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Environmental Management & Control; Disaster Risk Management; Chemical Security Management. The Centre also offers Master’s degree programmes in Disaster Risk Management (MDRM).
21. INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC HEALTH
The Institute of Public Health offers M.Sc., DrPH and PhD. programmes in the following areas: Health Systems, Policy and Management; Epidemiology and Biostatistics; Health Promotion and Communication; Environmental and Occupational Health; Clinical Epidemiology; Bioethics.
22. INSTITUTE OF MOLECULAR AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the following areas: Tropical Paediatrics; Human Reproduction; Adolescent and Child Health; Women’s Health and Reproductive Science.
23. INSTITUTE MATERNAL AND CHILD HEALTH
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D
Growth & Development; Genetics, Molecular and Cellular Biology; Paediatric Sub-speciality; ICT & Priority Advanced Research Methodology.
24. INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (SANDWICH PROGRAMMES)
Offers PGDE sandwich programme and PGD sandwich programme in the following areas: Citizenship Education; Gender Education; Office Administration and Technology Education; and Women Education.
- PGD in Citizenship Education: A minimum of Bachelors degree or HND passed at distinction or upper credit in Education, Social Sciences or related fields like Arts (Communication, Fine Arts, Drama and Languages).
- PGD in Gender Education: A candidate is qualified to apply with Bachelor’s degree or HND in any area of Education and Social Sciences, Arts and Sciences, passed at distinction or credit level.
- PGD in Office Administration and Technology Education: The entry requirement is Bachelor’s Degree or HND in any area of Education, Social Sciences, ICT or other professionals whose detailed academic records are acceptable to senate of the University of Nigeria may be admitted.
- PGD in Women Education: The entry requirement is Bachelor’s Degree or HND passed at credit level in any area of Education, Social Sciences, ICT or other professionals whose detailed academic records are acceptable to senate of the University of Nigeria may be admitted.
25. INSTITUTE OF CLIMATE CHANGE
Institute of Climate Change offers postgraduate programmes leading to the award of PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in the following areas: Science of Climate Change; Ground Based Measurement and Indigenous Technology Application to Climate Change; Environmental Literacy and Policy Studies on Climate Change; Sustainability Studies; Studies on Environmental and Climate Change Laws.
GENERAL ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must:
- Have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in WASC or GCE or NECO or NABTEB including English Language.
- Candidates shall also possess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree and postgraduate programmes in their areas of interest for postgraduate studies.
- Candidate must be graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who possess the above qualifications.
- For the PGD in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
The following may qualify for Postgraduate Diploma admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained a degree of bachelor with at least a third class honours with at least 2.0 GPA on 5-point scale. For Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration, candidates with at least third class honours degree with at least 2.0 on 5-point scale in Arts, the Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration or Education. Candidates from disciplines not mentioned above should in addition, possess a minimum of three years cognate post-qualification experience in administrative/managerial positions. For PGD in Business Administration, the 3rd Class Honours must be from Business Administration.
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) with a 3.50 Grade Point Average on a five-point scale or its equivalent may be admitted. For Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, candidates who hold other professional qualifications such as Associate Institute of Bankers, Associate Certified Chartered Accountants, Associate Cost and Management Accountants, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Chartered Professional Accountants, Associate Chartered Institute of Accountants, Association of National Accountants of Nigeria etc. have added advantage for admission. Candidates with professional qualifications, including HND, should have obtained pre-professional qualifications, including 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L or NECO to satisfy the basic University entry requirement, for admission for degree courses in their respective departments.
- In addition to (i) or (ii) above, in special cases, candidates may be admitted after passing such tests as may be prescribed by the Department/Faculty.
- Candidates who hold other qualifications considered equivalent to the above and acceptable to the Board of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University may be admitted.
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
Entry Requirements: Nutrition and Dietetics (PGD)
For PGD programme in Nutrition and Dietetics, candidates must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institutions:
- HND in Nutrition and Dietetics with a minimum of Upper Credit or Third Class Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics with at least 2.0 GPA on 5-point scale.
- M.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics: Candidates seeking admission into M.Sc in Nutrition and Dietectics must have obtained as follows:
a) HND (Upper Credit) in Nutrition and/or Dietetics with PGD (Credit level and above) in Human Nutrition and/or Dietetics.
b) Bachelor’s degree with at least 2nd Class Honours (Lower Division) in Nutrition and Dietetics.
c) Bachelor’s degree in related disciplines with a minimum of Second Class Honours (Lower Division) and PGD in Nutrition and Dietetics at credit level and above in addition to satisfying the University matriculation requirements. Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D: Candidates seeking admission for Ph.D degree programme or M.Sc/Ph.D programme in Human Nutrition and Dietetics must have any of the follow qualifications from recognized institution: a) Master’s degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics with at least GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
Department of Home Science
- PGD: Candidates seeking admission for PGD in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institution:
HND in Home Science or Home Economics or in relevant fields with a minimum of Upper Credit, or Third class Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or Home Economics with at least 2.0 GPA on 5-point scale.
- M.Sc: Candidates seeking admission into the Master of Science programme in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institutions:
a) Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with a minimum of Second Class honours (Lower Division).
b) Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with 3rd class honours degree plus PGD passed at Upper Credit level and above.
c) HND Upper Credit in Home Science or related disciplines plus PGD at Credit level in the same area in addition to satisfying University matriculation requirements.
- Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D: Candidates seeking admission into Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D programme in Home Science must have Master’s Degree in Home Science/Home Economics or related discipline from recognized Institution with at least 3.50 GPA on 5-point scale.
B. MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second class honours with not less than 2.50 GPA;
- Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have average score of 50% or above;
- For M.Ed. degree programmes, candidates with at least a good second class single honours degree in teaching subjects plus at least a merit level pass at Postgraduate Diploma in Education, or those who hold a third class honours degree in teaching subjects plus Postgraduate Diploma in Education passed at credit level or above;
- For MPA degree programme, candidates should, in addition to (i) and (ii) above, be serving administrative/managerial staff in the Public or Private sector with a at least two years post-qualification cognate experience;
- Holders of professional Fellowship qualifications such a FIMLT, FNILT, NIPR, or their equivalents obtained through examination. However, candidates with the professional certificates listed above must have worked as Senior Technologist(s) or in equivalent position(s) for at least three years;
- For MD degree Programme in the Department of Medicine: Possession of the Fellowship in Medicine from the National Postgraduate Medical College or its equivalent, or At least an M.Sc. degree in the relevant discipline in which research work predominates, from a recognized university after obtaining the MBBS or its equivalent. The Master’s degree must be with a GPA of at least 3.50 on 5-point scale or 3.00 on 4-point scale in the relevant medical science.
- For M.Sc. degree programme in the Department of Medicine applicant must hold a degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBBCh) from the University Nigeria or any other recognized University.
- For MPH degree programme, candidates should in addition to (i) above, have at least three years relevant post qualification experience or at least a Second Class Honours degree in Nursing Sciences, Sociology and Social Work, Psychology, Medical Mircobiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Health Education, Pharmacy, DVM, MBBS and BDS. For MPH Degree Programme, the Department will screen the candidates further and base their recommendation on such screening result.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than those listed above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
C. DOCTORATE DEGREE (Ph.D.)PROGRAMME
Candidates from the University of Nigeria or from other recognized Universities who have obtained Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission. Specifically:
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale, GPA of 3.0 on 4-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in all Departments except those departments listed in C(ii) below:
- A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programmes in the following Departments/Faculties: Music, Economics, Public Administration and Local Government, Psychology and Faculties of Education, Medical Sciences, Health Sciences and Technology and Business Administration.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or a B (60%) average at Master’s degree average provided that satisfactory research work for med part of the Master’s Degree programme.
D. MASTER’S/Ph.D. DEGREE PROGRAMME
- A candidate with first class honours from a recognized University may be admitted into a Master’s/Ph.D. programme in his/her discipline. (see Postgraduate Regulation for details)
- A candidate with Master’s degree from a recognized University with at least a GPA of 3.50 on 5-point scale or 3.00 on 4-point scale who wishes to do Ph.D degree in a related area or department shall qualify for the Master’s/Ph.D. Any candidate who is not qualified for Ph.D admission on account of low GPA is still not qualified for admission into Master’s/Ph.D. programme.
- For Faculties and Departments where the possession of Master’s degree with 4.00 points GPA on 5-point scale and above is the condition for Ph.D admission, applicants with Master’s degree GPA of 3.50 and above, but not up to 4.00 may apply for Master’s/Ph.D admission. On completion of Master’s degree coursework specified by the Department, the candidate shall be qualified for a firm Ph.D registration if he or she attains the GPA of 4.00 in the Master’s courses.
NOTE: A candidate admitted into Master’s/Ph.D programme has two options: First, he could complete the Master’s degree programme and then apply to continue with the Doctoral programme without completing a new application form if he/she passes the Master degree with a minimum of 3.50 or 4.0 GPA on a 5-point scale depending on the Department/Faculty. Secondly, the student’s general performance in the course work could be evaluated after the first two semesters of being on the Masters’/Ph.D programme. If the student makes a GPA of 3.50 or 4.0 and above in the coursework (as applicable to the Department/Faculty), Senate on the recommendations of Departmental and Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committees and the Board of the School may approve that the candidate proceeds to Ph.D programme without fully completing the Master’s degree programme.
SANDWICH POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
1. M.Ed. Sandwich programmes of the Faculty of Education is offered in the following Departments: Adult Education; Arts Education; Science Education; Human Kinetics and Health Education (Health Education, Physical Education & Recreation options); Social Science Education; and Vocational Teacher Education.
Note: Candidates are advised to read through the current Postgraduate Regulation of the University of Nigeria for proper guidance on the Entry Requirements and other conditions for Postgraduate admissions in the University.
M.Ed. Sandwich programme – Faculty of Education
MLS degree programme is available in the Department of Library & Information Science.
Sandwich Postgraduate Diploma is offered in the Institute of Education (PGDE), Vocational Teacher Education (PGDTE) and Library & Information Science (PGDL).
DURATION OF COURSES
(a) Postgraduate Diploma
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters
(ii) Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations
(b) Master’s degree (Regular) :
A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed below:
A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration.
(c.) M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
(d) Ph.D. degree Programme –A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is has minimum of four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. Ph.D. programme is not run as a Sandwich programme.
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration, but not to exceed the maximum duration (See Postgraduate Regulations).
REGISTRATION – For Regular/Sandwich programmes, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctorate degree programme, candidates are considered for admission once in a session. Regular students are expected to register their postgraduate courses within four weeks from the commencement of the session. Candidates admitted for sandwich programmes are expected to register not later than two weeks from the commencement of the sandwich session.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee ofN26,700.00 (Twenty six, seven hundred naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform. Below is the process flow for the application:
- Login to the UNN Portal- www.unnportal.unn.edu.ng
- Go to postgraduate students
- Select PG form for 2020/2021
- Enter your telephone number.
- Fill in your basic details.
- Generate Invoice with RRR.
- Make payments using the online channel or at the bank.
- Come back to online form.
- Fill the PG online application form.
- Upload all necessary credentials in PDF.
- Complete referee form. (Enter correct Emails).
- Check the complete details
- Submit form.
Please note that with the exception of the transcript, you are not expected to submit hard copies of application materials to the school of Postgraduate Studies.
When completing the application form, the candidates shall supply the e-mail addresses of their referees through which a link will be sent to the referees with request to complete the Report Form in respect of the candidate and submit online.
Candidates should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward their academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka” to reach him/her not later than 15th April, 2020. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School shall not have their application forms processed.
All information required would be completed online except the transcript. Copies of qualifying certificates/statement of result and NYSC discharge certificate (Exemption or Exclusion Certificate) are to be attached. Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted in lieu of the certificates specified above.
Application starts from Monday, 9th March, 2020 and closes on Wednesday, 22nd April, 2020.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
1. All applicants will undergo computer based postgraduate admission screening.
2. Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website www.unn.edu.ng from, 1st July, 2020, for your further necessary action.
3. Date for the Postgraduate Admission Screening: 17th and 18th July, 2020.
4. NOTE: For Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must have published at least an article from his/her Ph.D thesis in a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
5. Plagiarism test shall be run on Master’s Project Report and Ph.D Thesis before they can be approved.
Deputy Registrar/Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies
University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Monday 9th March, 2020
JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP BY CLICKING HERE.
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP BY CLICKING HERE.
LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE BY CLICKING HERE.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER BY CLICKING HERE.
Please Use The Comment Box Incase Of Any Question. Don’t Forget To Share.